Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon TRAPPEY'S Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- BRING large pot of water to a boil. Stir in salt. Add macaroni. Stir, then cook 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and return pasta to pot.
- WHILE pasta is cooking, whisk evaporated milk, Cream of Wheat, eggs, mustard, pepper sauce and salt in medium bowl.
- ADD mixture to cooked pasta. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens. Gradually stir in cheese, adding more as it melts. Add 1/2 cup milk; stir until creamy. Serve warm.
- Tip: For a nice garnish and added extra crunch, combine 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs with 1/4 cup Cream of Wheat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add Cream of Wheat mixture; cook and stir until mixture is golden brown. Sprinkle on top of each serving.