Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons POLANER Chopped Garlic
- 1 bunch spinach, washed, trimmed, chopped*
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, Colby or Monterey Jack cheese
- *Or substitute 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry.
- PREHEAT oven to 375ºF. Coat 10-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 8 minutes or until soft. Add spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted (if using frozen spinach, cook until heated through). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- COMBINE eggs, milk, Cream of Wheat, salt and pepper in large bowl; mix well. Stir in spinach mixture and cheese. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes or until just firm in center and lightly browned along the edges. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Tip: Because you don't need a crust for this quick-to-fix, tasty egg-and-cheese pie, you can use this recipe as a starting point for other types of quiche. Substitute any greens for the spinach, and use almost any combination of cheeses for a different flavor. For extra flair, stir in chopped fresh herbs. The quiche is best hot out of the oven, but can be served cold or at room temperature.