Makes 20 to 24 fritters.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, cleaned, peeled, deveined, cut into 1/2 ?inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons POLANER Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon TRAPPEY'S Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- PREHEAT oil in deep fryer or heavy saucepan to 360ºF.
- MELT butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in shrimp, garlic and Creole seasoning. Remove from heat; set aside.
- COMBINE milk and eggs in large mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in Cream of Wheat, baking powder, pepper sauce and salt. Add flour gradually, mixing until batter is thick and smooth. Stir in shrimp mixture; let stand 10 minutes.
- DROP heaping tablespoons of batter into fryer. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
- Tip: Shrimp fritters are great appetizers, and you can make them ahead, then just reheat. Serve them with this dipping sauce: mix mayonnaise with Creole seasoning, to taste.