Pineapple-Carrot Snacking Cake
Makes 9 servings, one square each.
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, cholesterol-free egg product
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbls. butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1-min, 2-1/2-min or 10-min cook time), uncooked
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup raisins
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Beat egg product, brown sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add yogurt; mix well. Combine flour, dry cereal, baking powder and cinnamon. Add half of the flour mixture to yogurt mixture; beat until well blended. Add pineapple; mix well. Add remaining flour mixture, the carrots and raisins; beat until well blended.
- POUR into greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- BAKE 25 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into nine squares to serve.
- Jazz It Up: For a quick-and-easy frosting, beat 4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) softened Neufchatel cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. chopped pecans.
- Substitute: Substitute dried cranberries for the raisins.
- Jazz It Up: Sprinkle cooled cake lightly with powdered sugar just before serving.
- Nutrition Bonus:
Enjoy! This moist cake is made with carrots, which are rich in vitamin A, and CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, a good source of iron.