Orange-Raisin Soda Bread
Makes 20 servings.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1, 2-1/2 or 10-min cook time), uncooked, divided
- 3 tbls. sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- MIX flour, 1/2 cup of the cereal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl until well blended. Gradually add oil, stirring until mixture forms fine crumbs. Add raisins and caraway seed; mix well.
- PLACE buttermilk, eggs and orange peel in large bowl; beat with wire whisk until well blended. Add flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- PLACE dough on floured surface; knead 10 times. Shape into ball; place on greased baking sheet which has been sprinkled with remaining 2 Tbsp. cereal. Flatten to 7-inch round loaf; cut 1/4-inch-deep 4-inch-long "X" in center of loaf.
- BAKE at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack