New England Fish Chowder
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound flounder, cod or other white fish, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Chesapeake seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- COOK bacon in large stockpot 5 minutes over medium heat or until crispy. Add onion, salt and pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes and water; cover. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes begin to soften.
- REMOVE cover. Gently stir in fish, evaporated milk, milk, Cream of Wheat, Italian seasoning and Chesapeake seasoning. Simmer 10 minutes longer. (DO NOT BOIL.) Stir in butter just before serving.
- Tip: If the chowder gets too thick, thin it to the desired consistency with additional milk or water.