Meatless Stuffed Peppers
Makes 8 servings.
- 4 medium green peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded and parboiled
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup red peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1 min, 2-1/2 min or 10 min cook time) uncooked
- 1 can 15 oz. garbanzo beans, (chickpeas) rinsed, drained
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, leaves
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 2% milk reduced fat, divided
- PLACE pepper shells in 13x9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- COOK and stir mushrooms, onions and red peppers in oil in large nonstick skillet until tender; remove from heat. Add cereal, beans, egg, thyme and 1/2 cup of the cheese; mix well. Spoon evenly into pepper shells; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- BAKE at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Substitute: Substitute black beans for garbanzo beans.
- How to Parboil Peppers: Heat 3 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Add seeded pepper halves; reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes or until peppers are just tender. Drain peppers; cool slightly.