Italian Soup with Dumplings
Makes 6 servings.
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 can 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes, no-salt-added, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1 can 15 1/2 oz. kidney beans, undrained
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 3 tsps. Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF RICE Hot Cereal, uncooked
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, cholesterol-free egg product
- 1 package 10 oz. frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- BROWN sausage in large heavy saucepan on medium heat, stirring to break up meat; drain. Add onion and 1/2 of the garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, 3 cups of the water and 2 tsp. of the Italian seasoning; cover. Cook on medium heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- MEANWHILE, bring remaining 1-1/3 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually add cereal, stirring constantly. Cook on medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 4 minutes. Add egg product, remaining garlic and remaining 1 tsp. Italian seasoning; stir until well blended.
- ADD green beans and zucchini to hot soup; stir. Drop 12 rounded tablespoonfuls of cereal mixture into simmering soup; cover. Cook on medium heat 10 to 20 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve hot.
- Jazz It Up: Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese. Or, garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Substitute: If you can't find a 28-oz. can of no-salt-added peeled tomatoes, use 2 (16-oz.) cans instead.
- Nutrition Bonus: Enjoy the hearty flavor of this low calorie soup. Its low in fat, cholesterol and sodium!