Harvest Coffee Cake
Makes 24 servings, 1 square each.
- 5 packets CREAM OF WHEAT Instant Hot Cereal, any flavor, divided
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Powdered Sugar Glaze (recipe follows)
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix 2 pkt. of the cereal, the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat 1/2 cup of the margarine and the brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add egg; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Spread into greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- MIX remaining 3 pkt. of cereal and remaining 1/4 cup margarine until well blended; sprinkle over batter.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly. Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Glaze. Cut into 24 squares. Serve warm.
- Shortcut: To quickly soften margarine or butter, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place in microwaveable bowl and microwave on MEDIUM-LOW (30%) for 20 seconds or until slightly softened.
- Nutrition Bonus: Savor a serving of this harvest coffee cake with your loved ones. It is a good source of iron from the fortified cereal.