Makes 12 scones.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into small pieces, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Butter (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- MIX flour, Cream of Wheat, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening, using two forks and pressing butter and shortening into dry mixture until mixture resembles large crumbs. Combine whipping cream and egg in separate bowl; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in cranberries.
- TURN out dough onto well-floured surface. Gently knead 5 to 6 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out with 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as needed (handle as little as possible). Bake 15 minutes on prepared baking sheet or until scones begin to brown. Serve with butter, if desired.
- Tip: To make additional varieties of scones, replace the cranberries with any other dried fruit.
- Tip: In the English tradition, scones are served with clotted cream, which may be found at specialty food stores.