Colorful Stuffed Peppers
Makes 8 servings.
- 8 bell peppers (red, yellow and orange)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons POLANER Chopped Garlic
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook times), uncooked
- 1 (16-ounce) jar ORTEGA Salsa, any variety
- 1 (4-ounce) can ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cut off tops of bell peppers. Remove seeds and membrane. Place bell pepper bottoms and tops in boiling water; cook 4 minutes to soften slightly. Use slotted spoon to remove from boiling water; set aside.
- COOK and stir onion, celery and garlic in large skillet over medium heat until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add carrot and parsley; cook 3 minutes longer. Add ground beef and Cream of Wheat; stir to break up beef. Cook and stir 5 minutes longer or until beef is cooked. Add salsa, chiles, sage and oregano. Cook 5 minutes longer or until mixture thickens and is heated through. Stir in rice.
- ARRANGE bell pepper bottoms in casserole dish. Spoon heaping cup of beef mixture into each bell pepper. Drizzle crushed tomatoes over bell peppers. Cover each with bell pepper top. Bake 40 minutes.
- Tip: The pepper stuffing can also be prepared with ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground bee