Makes 4 servings.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/4 cups beer
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, cleaned, peeled, deveined
- Asian duck sauce or other dipping sauce (optional)
- PREHEAT oil in deep fryer or heavy saucepan to 360ºF. Combine beer, flour, Cream of Wheat, salt and paprika in medium bowl. Stir in 1 cup coconut; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Place remaining 1 cup coconut in shallow bowl.
- PLACE shrimp into batter; stir to coat. Remove shrimp individually; dip each shrimp into coconut, covering evenly. Fry shrimp in batches 4 minutes or until golden brown. (Cook larger shrimp 1 to 2 minutes longer if necessary.) Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with dipping sauce, if desired.
- Tip: Serve these delicious shrimp with a crispy Asian-style salad for a tasty meal. They also make great individual appetizers.