Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3/4 cup long-grain or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- HEAT oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until tender.
- ADD rice, Cream of Wheat, curry and salt. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until rice is slightly toasted. Add water, turn down heat and cover; simmer 10 minutes.
- REMOVE cover; stir. If too thick, stir in additional water, to taste. Stir in chickpeas and parsley. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until warmed through.
- Tip: To turn this side dish into a one-pot meal, add shellfish or bite-size pieces of fish or chicken along with the water, and cook as directed. Serve in shallow bowls topped with mango chutney.