Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant 1-minute, 2-1/2- minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups pasta sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Blend flour, salt and pepper in shallow bowl; set aside. Combine milk and eggs in second shallow bowl; set aside. Blend Cream of Wheat and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese in third shallow bowl; set aside.
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat. Flatten chicken breasts slightly to uniform thickness. Dip each chicken breast into flour mixture, covering both sides evenly; shake off excess flour. Dip into egg mixture, covering both sides evenly. Dip into Cream of Wheat mixture, covering both sides evenly; shake off excess coating.
- PLACE chicken into skillet. Cook 4 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Turn chicken over and cook 5 minutes longer until lightly browned. Remove chicken from skillet.
- SPREAD 1 cup pasta sauce in bottom of casserole dish; place chicken on top. Sprinkle 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese over chicken and top with remaining 1 cup pasta sauce. Sprinkle on remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Tip: For more variety in your menus, substitute peeled eggplant or sliced pork tenderloin for the chicken.