Cheese 'N Bacon Spoon Bread
Makes 9 (2/3-cup) servings.
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1-min, 2-1/2-min or 10-min cook time), uncooked
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 eggs, separated, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen whole kernel corn, thawed, well drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 2% milk, reduced fat
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1 jar (4 oz.) pimientos, chopped, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ADD boiling water to cereal in large bowl; stir. Let stand 5 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Add 2 of the egg yolks and pepper; mix well. (Save remaining 2 egg yolks for another use.) Stir in baking powder. Add corn, cheese, turkey bacon, pimientos and parsley; mix well.
- BEAT egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add to cereal mixture; stir gently until well blended. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
- BAKE at 375°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Keeping It Safe: When separating egg yolks from egg whites, always use an egg separator. Passing the egg back and forth between the shell halves may expose the egg to bacteria on the shell. If any pieces of shell fall into the eggs, use a clean utensil to remove them.
- Creative Leftovers: Store remaining 2 egg yolks in tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Add to ground meat mixture when making meatloaf or meatballs. Or, use in an egg wash when breading thin pieces of meat, such as chicken cutlets.