CREAM OF WHEAT Dumplings
Makes 5 servings, two dumplings each.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, 1-min., 2-1/2 min. or 10-min. cook time), uncooked
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- COMBINE milk and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Gradually add cereal, stirring constantly until well blended. Reduce heat to medium; cook 1 to 2 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- ADD egg, margarine and parsley; mix well.
- DROP 10 heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into large pot of simmering soup or stew; cover. Cook 8 to 10 min. or until dumplings have doubled in size and are no longer doughy in centers.
- Note: To ensure light and fluffy dumplings, leave the pan covered until the cooking time is almost complete. Checking them too early can cause them to deflate.
- Jazz It Up: For a great soup to cook these dumplings in, cook and stir 1 to 2 cups chopped vegetables in 1 Tbsp. olive oil until vegetables are tender. Add 6 cups homemade or reduced-sodium canned broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat and add dumpling dough as directed.
- Nutrition Bonus: By adding these dumplings to your favorite soup or stew, you'll add a good source of iron, thanks to the CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal.