CREAM OF WHEAT® Tabbouleh
Makes 12 (1/2-cup) servings.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 3 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (1, 2-1/2 or 10-min) uncooked CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- MIX bulgur wheat and 2 cups of the boiling water; let stand 1 hour.
- HEAT 1 Tbsp. of the oil in skillet; stir in cereal. Cook and stir on medium heat until lightly toasted. Reduce heat to low. Stir in remaining 1 cup boiling water; cover. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Drain bulgur. Add to cereal mixture along with all remaining ingredients; mix well.
- REFRIGERATE at least 1 hour. Serve on lettuce-covered platter.
- Substitute: If fresh mint is unavailable, prepare as directed substituting 1 tsp. dried mint for the fresh mint.
- Storage Know-How: Place bunches of fresh herbs, stem sides down, in a glass of water. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Nutrition Bonus: The CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal is a rich source of iron in this refreshing, very low sodium salad.