Blueberry-Walnut Crumb Muffins
Makes 20 muffins or 20 servings, 1 muffin each.
- 3 3/4 cups flour, divided
- 1 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1-min., 2-1/2 min. or 10-min. cook time) uncooked
- 1 1/3 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed, divided
- 1 3/4 tsps. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 tbls. butter or margarine, cold, divided
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, cholesterol-free egg product
- 1/2 cup Blueberries, fresh
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- PREAHEAT oven to 400°F. Mix 3/4 cup of the flour, the cereal, 1/3 cup of the brown sugar, 3/4 tsp. of the cinnamon and the nutmeg in large bowl. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 6 Tbsp. of the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- MIX remaining 3 cups flour, remaining 1 cup brown sugar, remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon and the baking powder in large bowl; set aside. Melt remaining 8 Tbsp. butter. Place in small bowl. Add milk and egg product; beat with wire whisk until well blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Add blueberries and walnuts; stir just until evenly distributed. Spoon evenly into 20 greased medium muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. Sprinkle with the crumb mixture.
- BAKE 20 to 24 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 min.; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Substitute: Substitute 1 cup thawed frozen blueberries for the fresh blueberries.