Banana Streusel Loaf
Makes 12 servings.
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, cholesterol-free egg product
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium bananas, ripe, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour (plus as/if needed)
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1-min., 2-1/2-min. or 10-min. cook time) uncooked
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Chocolate Chip Streusel, recipe follows
- BEAT sugar and margarine in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add egg product and vanilla; mix well. Stir in bananas.
- Mix flour, cereal and baking powder. Add to banana mixture; stir just until moistened. Pour into greased and floured 8x4-inch loaf pan; sprinkle with Chocolate Chip Streusel (see recipe below).
- BAKE at 350°F for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze, if desired.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 Tbsp. milk or water. If necessary, stir in additional 1 Tbsp. milk until glaze is of desired consistency.
- Storage Know-How: Peel, mash and freeze extra overripe bananas in 1-cup portions in airtight containers. Thaw and use later in baked goods.
- Nutrition Bonus: This moist-and-flavorful quick bread, made with better-for-you ingredients, can be a delicious addition to your healthful eating plan.