Baked Caramel Rice Custard
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF RICE Hot Cereal, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- BRING milk just to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually add cereal, stirring constantly.
- COOK and stir on medium heat 1 minute. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- MIX eggs and 1/3 cup of the sugar until well blended. Add to cereal mixture; mix well. Set aside.
- COOK remaining 2/3 cup sugar in medium saucepan on medium heat until melted and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Immediately pour into 1-1/2-quart baking dish, tilting dish to evenly coat bottom and side of dish. Pour cereal mixture into prepared dish. Place in 13x9-inch baking pan; carefully add 2 cups hot water to baking pan.
- BAKE at 325°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Unmold onto serving plate.
- How to Unmold: Run small knife around edge of pudding in dish. Invert onto serving plate. Let stand at least 30 seconds or until pudding releases onto plate
- Jazz It Up: Pudding can be served cold. After cooling, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until chilled. Unmold as directed and serve.
- Nutrition Bonus: For a satisfying finish to any meal, indulge in this creamy custard. The milk provides a good source of calcium.