Lunch & Dinner RECIPES
(41 of 46)
Makes 20 to 24 fritters.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, cleaned, peeled, deveined, cut into 1/2 ?inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons POLANER Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon TRAPPEY'S Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- PREHEAT oil in deep fryer or heavy saucepan to 360ºF.
- MELT butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in shrimp, garlic and Creole seasoning. Remove from heat; set aside.
- COMBINE milk and eggs in large mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in Cream of Wheat, baking powder, pepper sauce and salt. Add flour gradually, mixing until batter is thick and smooth. Stir in shrimp mixture; let stand 10 minutes.
- DROP heaping tablespoons of batter into fryer. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
- Tip: Shrimp fritters are great appetizers, and you can make them ahead, then just reheat. Serve them with this dipping sauce: mix mayonnaise with Creole seasoning, to taste.
RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies