Lunch & Dinner RECIPES
(21 of 46)
Makes 1 loaf.
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- COAT loaf pan thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Place currants in small bowl and cover with water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- DISSOLVE yeast in 1/3 cup water in small measuring cup. Combine remaining 2/3 cup water, sugar, oil and salt in large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 cup flour, yeast mixture, Cream of Wheat and egg.
- DRAIN excess water from currants and stir in. Add remaining 2 cups flour gradually. Stir until flour is completely mixed in and sticky dough forms. Cover and let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- PREHEAT oven to 400ºF. Punch dough down in center, and knead 1 minute. (If dough is still sticky, add more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time.) Place dough in prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- BAKE 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. (Check bread at 30 minutes and cover with aluminum foil if top is getting too dark.) Transfer loaf to wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Tip: This bread makes a nice presentation when served with your favorite extra-virgin olive oil. Guests can dip the crusty bread slices for a great rustic accompaniment to any meal.
RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies