Lunch & Dinner RECIPES
(20 of 46)
Creole Shrimp over Creamy Cheesy Grits
Makes 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons POLANER Chopped Garlic
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 ounces frozen okra
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, cleaned, peeled, deveined
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scallions, sliced (optional)
- HEAT olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes with juice, okra and Creole seasoning. Add shrimp and 1/2 cup water; stir and cover. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove cover and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- MEANWHILE, bring milk and remaining 1/2 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Stir in Cream of Wheat. Add cheese and salt; cook and stir until thickened.
- PLACE serving-spoon-sized portion of grits on plate. Ladle shrimp over grits and top with sliced scallions, if desired.
- Tip: For even more authentic Creole flavor and a heartier dish, add slices of spicy andouille sausage along with the shrimp. Proceed as directed.
RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies