RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies
ALL RECIPES (74 of 127)
Italian Soup with Dumplings
Makes 6 servings.
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 can 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes, no-salt-added, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1 can 15 1/2 oz. kidney beans, undrained
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 3 tsps. Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup CREAM OF RICE Hot Cereal, uncooked
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, cholesterol-free egg product
- 1 package 10 oz. frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- BROWN sausage in large heavy saucepan on medium heat, stirring to break up meat; drain. Add onion and 1/2 of the garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, 3 cups of the water and 2 tsp. of the Italian seasoning; cover. Cook on medium heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- MEANWHILE, bring remaining 1-1/3 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually add cereal, stirring constantly. Cook on medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 4 minutes. Add egg product, remaining garlic and remaining 1 tsp. Italian seasoning; stir until well blended.
- ADD green beans and zucchini to hot soup; stir. Drop 12 rounded tablespoonfuls of cereal mixture into simmering soup; cover. Cook on medium heat 10 to 20 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve hot.
- Jazz It Up: Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese. Or, garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Substitute: If you can't find a 28-oz. can of no-salt-added peeled tomatoes, use 2 (16-oz.) cans instead.
- Nutrition Bonus: Enjoy the hearty flavor of this low calorie soup. Its low in fat, cholesterol and sodium!