RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies
ALL RECIPES (26 of 127)
Cheesy-Vegetable Spoon Bread
Makes 9 (2/3-cup) servings.
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal, (1-min, 2-1/2-min or 10-min cook time), uncooked
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 2% milk reduced fat
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed, well drained
- 1/4 cup red or green bell peppers, chopped
- ADD boiling water to cereal in large bowl; stir until thickened. Let stand 5 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Add 2 of the egg yolks, garlic and pepper; mix well. (Save remaining 2 egg yolks for another use.) Stir in baking powder. Add cheese, mixed vegetables and bell pepper; mix well. Set aside.
- BEAT egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; gently stir into cereal mixture. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
- BAKE at 375°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Jazz It Up: Store remaining 2 egg yolks in tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Add to ground meat mixture when making meatloaf or meatballs. Or, use in an egg wash when breading thin pieces of meat, such as chicken cutlets.
- Keeping It Safe: When separating egg yolks from egg whites, always use an egg separator. Passing the egg back and forth between the shell halves may expose the egg to bacteria on the shell. If any pieces of shell fall into the eggs, use a clean utensil to remove them.