healthy RECIPES (15 of 26)
Harvest Coffee Cake
Makes 24 servings, 1 square each.
- 5 packets CREAM OF WHEAT Instant Hot Cereal, any flavor, divided
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Powdered Sugar Glaze (recipe follows)
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix 2 pkt. of the cereal, the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat 1/2 cup of the margarine and the brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add egg; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Spread into greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- MIX remaining 3 pkt. of cereal and remaining 1/4 cup margarine until well blended; sprinkle over batter.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly. Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Glaze. Cut into 24 squares. Serve warm.
- Shortcut: To quickly soften margarine or butter, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place in microwaveable bowl and microwave on MEDIUM-LOW (30%) for 20 seconds or until slightly softened.
- Nutrition Bonus: Savor a serving of this harvest coffee cake with your loved ones. It is a good source of iron from the fortified cereal.
RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies