healthy RECIPES (4 of 26)
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3/4 cup long-grain or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon CREAM OF WHEAT Hot Cereal (Instant, 1-minute, 2-1/2-minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- HEAT oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until tender.
- ADD rice, Cream of Wheat, curry and salt. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until rice is slightly toasted. Add water, turn down heat and cover; simmer 10 minutes.
- REMOVE cover; stir. If too thick, stir in additional water, to taste. Stir in chickpeas and parsley. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until warmed through.
- Tip: To turn this side dish into a one-pot meal, add shellfish or bite-size pieces of fish or chicken along with the water, and cook as directed. Serve in shallow bowls topped with mango chutney.
RECIPES CALLING FOR GRANDMA'S
Cream of Wheat is the perfect ingredient for boosting the nutritional value of meals and snacks. Find easy recipes and ideas for healthier eating that taste delicious.
Use our share buttons to pass your favorite recipes along to friends and family!
THE CHEF'S TOP 5 RECIPES
- Blueberry-Cinnamon Muffins
- Breakfast Bake
- Chicken Parmesan
- Fudge Brownies